Acne is amongst the common skin problems during pregnancy. Acne can be mild, moderate or even severe when you are pregnant and occur at any time during pregnancy. It may come and go, or even last throughout the nine months. Hormonal fluctuations in your body are somewhat responsible for these pregnancy breakouts. Women who have a history of acne at the beginning of menstrual cycle are at a higher risk of developing acne breakouts at the time of pregnancy. Read on to know about 10 ways for treating acne while you are pregnant.
Natural Acne treatment
- Proper skin care – You can prevent and treat acne during pregnancy by taking proper care of your skin. Clean the face by using a mild cleanser at least two times in a day, once in the morning and once before going to bed. This will prevent the accumulation of dirt and oil on the face. Wash and rinse face properly around the jaw and hairline, where the pores get clogged. Wash your hair daily to prevent oil transfer from hair to face.
- Warm compress – A warm compress can help in acne scar treatment quickly. The warm temperature will remove the bacteria and pus from pores and hair follicles and help in the healing process. Take 1 teaspoon of table salt and mix it in 2 cups of warm water. Soak a washcloth in the solution and apply warm compress on the affected area for at least 10 minutes. Once it cools down, apply a fresh one and do this at least few times in a day.
- Turmeric – Turmeric consist of antibacterial property that helps in killing bacteria and treating acne. This natural antiseptic works in the form of complexion-enhancing agent and gives a healthy glow to your skin. You need to take 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and combine it with little water to form a paste. Apply the paste on the affected area and leave it for an hour before washing it off. You need to use this solution at least 1 to 2 times for a few days.
- White toothpaste – White toothpaste is quite effective in the treatment of acne that develops on your skin during pregnancy. It has antibacterial elements that help to get rid of the bacteria. Apply small amount of white toothpaste on the acne and leave it overnight. Wash it off with cold water the next morning. You need to repeat the process daily rill your skin gets free from acne.
- Aloe vera – Aloe vera is a natural remedy for pregnancy-related acne breakouts. It helps in treating acne effectively and fights bacteria with its anti-inflammatory and healing properties. Open aloe vera leaf and take out the gel. Apply this gel on the affected part and massage properly for one minute. Leave the gel for 20 to 30 minutes and then rinse it off. Repeat the process for 1 or 2 times daily.
- Coconut oil – Coconut oil can clear pregnancy acne since it has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. This oil is quite effective to fight bacteria that cause acne. It helps in skin hydration and leaves it nourished. Apply coconut oil on the affected area, rub it gently on the skin and do it several times in a day.
- Honey – Honey is very effective for different kinds of occur that occur at the time of pregnancy. It possesses antibacterial and antiseptic properties that can help in skin softening and hydration. Put little honey on the affected area and then wait for at least 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. You need to repeat the process 2 to 3 times every day. Another process is to make a paste with 1 tablespoon of honey and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Apply it on the acne and then wait for 10 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water and use it once in a day.
- Lemon – Lemon is a natural acne-fighting ingredient that fights bacteria responsible for acne. It helps in restoring pH balance of your skin, thus reducing breakouts. Apply fresh lemon juice on the acne with a cotton swab. Let the juice sit for 20 minutes or more. Rinse your face with water and do it once or twice a day.
- Oatmeal – Oatmeal has both soothing and cooling properties that is very effective in treating acne. It pays no attention to dead skin cells, improves your skin texture and accelerates the healing process. Take 1 tablespoon of oatmeal powder and plain yogurt and mix it with 1 teaspoon of turmeric to form the paste. Apply it on the acne and scrub it around in circular motions for 2 minutes. Leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse off with warm water. Do it at least once in a week.
- Healthy diet – It is very important to take a well-balanced diet during pregnancy. This way, you can keep your skin free from acne. Try to increase the intake of vitamin A by eating foods such as milk, fish, carrots and eggs. These foods will keep your skin healthy and glowing. Green vegetables and fresh fruits are very beneficial at this time for good health. Also take skin-boosting healthy fats that include avocados, walnuts almonds and salmon.
You should drink sufficient amount of water to flush out the skin that will keep your skin clear from acne breakouts. You may visit a reputed skin care clinic like Clinica Fiore and talk to the dermatologists to get laser treatment done for your acne scars. By following the right skin care routine, you can treat pregnancy-related acne successfully.